Electric Bike Battery Charging

Experienced electric bike users recommend that an e-bike battery be fully charged before initial use. For NiMH and Li-Ion batteries, approximate charging time is four to six hours and for SLA batteries, approximate charging time is six to eight hours. You can also refer to your battery’s User Manual for specific charging instructions. We offer all our information online and when it comes to batteries we only sell li-ion electric bike batteries, but we offer more battery information to help you with ALL your battery charging needs because it is likely you have hundreds of batteries throughout your home whether you realize it or not.

panasonic electric bike battery cell
The electric bike battery consists of electric li-ion battery cells.

After initial use, a Li-Ion or NiMH battery should be charged at least once every 90 days. SLA batteries generally require more frequent charging—once every 30 days if not regularly used, or after each use if used regularly.

We also want to remind you to ALWAYS turn off a product that uses a battery after every use. If the power switch is left on overnight, and the battery hasn’t been charged for awhile, your battery may fail to charge altogether and eventually die completely. In this case, your only other option is to purchase a replacement battery. For this reason, we include an auto shutoff capability in our li-ion electric bike battery systems to prevent over discharging. This will allow you years of use on and off the road to ride covertly in any weather you face.

If you need assistance choosing an e-bike battery, or have questions regarding e-bike parts, please call us at 866.933.8716.

6 thoughts on “Electric Bike Battery Charging

• October 29, 2016 at 1:56 am

you need to make at least a statement or perhaps stronger statement regarding the on/off switch. If the Red is showing the battery is on and not showing it is “Off”. I forgot and put it on meh bike to figure it out. However, it should be more prominently displayed in your videos and description. Or in the future have it on the battery (that would not be hard). On and Off.

Monte

• November 27, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Thank you for the recommendation, Monte. We’ll make that more clear.

• January 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Please clarify the apparent contradiction between the following two statements you make on your Web site regarding avoiding unintentional battery discharge, “Otherwise, it will slowly drain from being turned “on”, even if not being used” and ” For this reason, we include an auto shutoff capability in our li-ion electric bike battery systems to prevent over discharging.” Can I over discharge my battery if I leave the switch on for several months without using the bike? Also, what is an SLA battery and why are they mentioned on this site?

• February 17, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Hello, I also had the same issue, the battery came with the switch red, so there was
    no indication ( instructions) on or off ? It sat for a week before i could get to the assembly. By design the switch is in a pretty bad spot for being on a flat surface.
    simple lettering would work just fine.

• April 18, 2017 at 9:49 am

Another great option if I want a good battery for my e-bike. Great read!

• April 22, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I currently have the problem that my motor shuts down prematurely,,,,after a mile or so. LEED sent me a new motor cable (thank you!) but it was no help. I just went over this battery information and realize that I have left the switch on for prolonged periods in a somewhat discharged state and may have ruined my battery….but the reason I did not pay attention to this is because, on the sheet that came with the kit, it says that while charging, it doesn’t matter if the switch is on or off….this may be true during charging, but it doesn’t fit with what I just read above and I don’t remember seeing this information about the switch being turned off on that sheet. That should be in be in large letters on that sheet.